Summer is here and that means BBQ and potluck season! We actually had our first potluck last night and it was magical to be able to mingle and socialize again. Potlucks can be a bit daunting for a newbie. You want something easy to make, but delicious the whole crowd will enjoy!
I love making this Sweet Potato Quinoa bake because it checks all the boxes, plus it’s a healthier potluck option. You toss it all together and bake it, honestly it’s that simple.
What gives this dish its tasty flavour is the use of taco seasoning. Yes you can buy all the individual spices, but I find buying a packet at the grocery store saves you time and money. You can use taco or chilli seasoning, both are very similar.
This recipe calls for Red or Black Beans, it’s your choice on which your prefer to use. I use whatever I have in my pantry. And it also calls for corn. You can use either canned or frozen corn. Both have turned out the same after baking.
When it comes to the broth it’s your choice of flavour. I prefer beef broth because it’s has a stronger flavour, but vegetable or chicken work just fine.
And yes, uncooked quinoa! The quinoa cooks beautifully under the covered dish. So be patient, it will look like it’s not cooking but I promise you, it is. The trick is to let it sit for 15 minutes after baking to allow the last of the liquid to be absorbed.
Ok let’s get cooking!
Sweet Potato & Quinoa Bake
Cool Time: 60 minutes
- 4 cups sweet potato cut into small cubes
- 1 can of Red or Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 4 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups Broth
- 2 tsp Taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp fried Thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large greased baking dish, combine: sweet potato, beans, corn, quinoa and garlic.
- In a medium bowl, add in broth, taco seasoning, thyme and salt. Give it a good mix to properly incorporate the spices into the liquid.
- Pour over the sweet potato dish, give it another good mix.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes covered. Then remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes uncovered.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving, there still may be some liquid, it will absorb into the dish as it cools.
- Top with fresh green pepper and green onion.
NOTE: Depending on the size of your cubes sweet potato you dish may cook faster or slower. Check the dish after 30 minutes and gauge if it will need more or less time.
Thanks for reading! And be sure to tag @thejaclynyvonne on your social media. I love seeing what you all cooked!