From January till the end of March, we celebrate all five of our birthdays. I know, it’s absolute chaos from pretty much having one big party after another. Really, the party never stops! But my love for baking really enjoys this time of year. I adore making my children’s birthday cake. To see their eyes light up when it’s all done, and their huge smiles when it’s lit up with candles. Such memories I know I will cherish my entire lifetime.
We just celebrated my middle child’s fourth birthday, and for her cake. She picked a vanilla funfetti cake! She loves sprinkles. And I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to test out a recipe so the whole family could enjoy the cake.
My son, who is currently breastfeeding is allergic to dairy, and I don’t handle gluten all that well. So I created a recipe that has no dairy and no gluten. The recipe steps are similar to making a cupcake. The creaming of sugar, and slowly adding the gluten free flour will help give your cakes a good rise.
I like to use vegan butter in this recipe, EarthBalance is my preferred choice. It tastes very, very similar to butter. Becel does have a great line of plant based butters. Both can be found in standard grocery stores.
You’ll see while reading the recipe “non-dairy milk”. It’s your choice what you would like to use: almond, oat, coconut or cashew. Be sure to use a non-sweetened non-dairy milk, or your cake will be one sweet treat.
For the flour, I recommend using a 1:1 gluten free baking flour. This has Xanthan gum in it which will help your cake texture turn out similar to all-purpose flour. Bob’s Red Mill is my preferred choice, which can also be found in standard grocery stores or online.
The best part of this cake is the sprinkles! the bright spots of colour as you cut into the cake. To help the sprinkles from not leaking as you mix them into the batter, and to stop the sprinkles from sinking to the bottom as the cake bakes. You need to take a tablespoon of flour, and coat the sprinkles in a smaller bowl. The outer flour barrier will help keep your sprinkles intact and in place.
My number one tip with this recipe is to cream the vegan butter straight from the fridge. The motion and heat produced from the mixer will be enough for this recipe. Vegan butter melts at a lower temperature than traditional butter, and letting it soften too much will make your batter dense.
And of course no cake is complete without icing, and yes this icing recipe is dairy-free also. And delicious might I add. No one would know that it is dairy-free.
Now let’s get baking!
Dairy + Gluten Free Funfetti Cake
- 2 1/3 cups of 1:1 gluten free flour + 1 tbsp
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, cold.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of non-dairy of choice
- 1/3 cup sprinkles of choice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8″ inch pans.
- In a small bowl, coat the sprinkles with 1 tbsp of gluten free flour.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the vegan butter until creamy and fluffy. Roughly 5 minutes.
- Add sugar in slowly till thoroughly combined.
- Mix in one egg at a time, making sure the egg is mixed in before adding the next egg.
- On low speed, add half the flour mixture. Beating until just blended.
- Add all of the non-dairy milk and vanilla extract, beat till just blended.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture, beat till just combined.
- Add in the sprinkles, gently fold 5 times with a spatula. Do not over mix or the sprinkles colour will start to leak in the batter.
- Pour the batter evenly into the baking pans, bake for 20-25 minutes till golden brown and toothpick comes clean.
- Allow time to cool before icing the cake.
Dairy-Free Vanilla Icing
- 2/3 cup vegan butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp non-dairy of choice
- In a large bowl, cream vegan butter for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add one cup of powdered sugar at a time.
- Beat in vanilla, and one tbsp of non-dairy milk.
- Continue to beat, and gradually keep adding a tbsp of non-dairy milk till desired consistency is reached.
I really hope you enjoy this delicious cake and be sure to tag me @thejaclynyvonne in your creations on social media!